Position: Elementary School Academy Recreation Leader
Reports to: ESA Site Manager
Work schedule: Part-Time M-F, 25-28 hours/week
Salary: Hourly position, $17-$20 per hour depending on qualifications and experience
Agency & Program Description: Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization that provides services and advocacy for residents of the greater San Francisco community. TEL HI provides opportunities for individuals and families to enrich their quality of life. Focusing on low- to moderate-income youth, families, and seniors, we create and strengthen community bonds, provide health and wellness programs, and broaden education and cultural experiences.
The goal of the After School Academy Program is to foster the academic, physical and social-emotional well-being of elementary school youth (K-5). The program provides developmentally appropriate curriculum, which emphasizes academic success and enrichment through academic assistance, social development, recreation, art and a wide variety of educational enrichment activities.
Position Description: Under the direction of the Program Director the Recreational Leader will organize and provide tutoring support along with supplemental activities to further program participants’ education at school at Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center. They will also coordinate communications, resources, and personnel to meet student’s needs and assure smooth and efficient project operations and activities as well as train and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement an effective program curriculum and content.
- Plan, organize and conduct a wide variety of recreational activities for all age groups and genders.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Organize youth, supplies, and equipment.
- Plan and schedule physical education activities.
- Follow safety procedures.
- Exercise good judgment, tact and courtesy.
- Establish safe fitness practices and injury prevention.
- Form teams, create and lead workshops or camps that may take place in the evenings and/or occasional weekends.
- Commitment to support the continued development and growth of the TEL HI sports programs.
- Work to increase academic achievement by providing academic support, homework assistance, and individualized tutoring.
- Observe and evaluate children’s needs and progress. Follow-up with appropriate action including discussions with staff and communication with parents.
- Participate in individual supervision, staff meetings, and organization trainings.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of space utilized by the program.
- Support fundraising efforts on an as-needed basis to strengthen and sustain TEL HI programming.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience working with youth.
- Understanding of youth development philosophy and current best practices.
- Possession of a BA or better is preferred.
- Bilingual candidates in Cantonese/English or Spanish/English are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants should e-mail a job-specific cover letter and resume to:
Josh Feierstein, Program Director