Teens Programs Tutor
Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization which provides services and advocacy for residents of northeast San Francisco, especially those who reside in the city’s northeast neighborhoods. Focusing on low- moderate income children, youth, families, and seniors, TEL HI creates and strengthen community bonds, provides health and wellness programs, and broadens educational and cultural experiences. With its diverse array of program services in multiple locations, TEL HI serves over 700 individuals each day.
Position Description: This position will be an after school tutoring position that will assist high school students in academic achievement by meeting them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. This position will be placed at Galileo High School.
Position Requirements: BA degree preferred or a combination of education and relevant experience. Demonstrate knowledge and competence in the areas of high school mathematics, English, science, etc. Interest and experience working with underrepresented youth in San Francisco. Two years experience working with teenagers in a school and/or community-based setting. Experience in after school programming and facilitation with teens a plus. Demonstrated ability to problem-solve. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Well-developed organizational skills and ability to prioritize and delegate when necessary. Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, and internet based research. Report writing experience is a plus. Ability to work as a contributing team member and to work independently. DOJ, FBI, Child Abuse Index, TB clearance required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet with students on a one-to-one, small-group, drop-in, or classroom tutoring format(s) to give learning assistant.
- Establish and maintain a positive and safe environment for program participants including assisting with classroom and behavior management.
- Facilitate academic/educational activities including workshops and support groups for youth.
- Tutor high school students in an engaging manner to build their academic skills.
- Increase visibility of program activities through flyer design, marketing, and outreach.
- Encourage involvement in program activities by building positive relationships with students and their families
- Participate in regular staff meetings and on-going training opportunities.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of all shared program space.
- Assist Galileo Administrators and Staff as needed.
- Support Tel-Hi’s fundraising efforts as needed.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor.
Interested applicants should send a job-specific cover letter and resume to:
Galileo Teen Programs Manager
Please, no phone calls about this position. Due to the high volume of inquiries, TEL HI will only respond to a select number of applicants who best fit our needs.