Beacon After School Program Instructor
Position: After School Program Instructor
Reports to: Beacon Program Manager
Hours & Work Schedule: 2:30-6:30 pm, Monday-Friday
Compensation: $13-15/ hr
Organization Description: Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization. TEL HI provides services and advocacy for SF residents. Focusing on low- moderate income children, youth, families, and seniors, TEL HI creates and strengthens community bonds, provides health and wellness programs, and broadens educational and cultural experiences. With its diverse array of program and services in multiple locations, TEL HI serves over 700 people each day.
Beacon Center: North Beach-Chinatown Beacon Center at Francisco Middle School (FMS) mission is to provide youth, families, and community members with a safe and engaging space, offering academic support, enrichment, recreational, employment, and youth development opportunities. Activities and services are offered during the school day, after school, evenings, and weekends throughout the year at FMS, TEL HI, Galileo High School, and North Beach Place.
Position Description: This is an afterschool leadership position at FMS. After School Program Instructors work with a team to create daily curriculums, clubs, and activities for enrolled in the Beacon program. During program hours, Program Instructors provide homework assistance and lead a wide-range of academic, wellness and social- emotional activities.
Position Requirements: The candidate must have interest and experience working with underrepresented youth in San Francisco. A Minimum of one year experience working with elementary school aged children in an educational environment is required. The candidate should have excellent verbal skills and proven experience with activity development and facilitating a hands-on educational curriculum. Proficiency in Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese, or Spanish is a plus. The candidate should possess well-developed organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and delegate when necessary. Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, and internet based research is preferred. Report writing experience is a plus. People of color are encouraged to apply.
Clearance is required from the CA Department of Justice, FBI, and Child Abuse Index. The candidate must also provide a TB screening.
Education Requirements: The successful candidate must meet SF USD Instructional Aide Requirements: they should possess an Associate’s Degree or higher or provide an official transcript reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent or completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the Beacon Programs, including registration and data entry
- Establish and maintain a positive and safe environment for program participants including assisting with classroom and behavior management
- Facilitate activities including after school workshops and clubs for youth
- Incorporate California State Standards within all program activities
- Increase visibility of program activities through flyer design, marketing, and outreach
- Encourage involvement in program activities by building positive relationships with youth and their families.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and on-going training opportunities as needed.
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of all shared program space.
- Assist Administrators and staff as needed
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to:
Ed Cheveres, Beacon Program Manager at ECheveres@telhi.org