Beacon After School Program Instructor
Position: After School Program Instructor
Reports to: Beacon Program Manager
Hours & Work Schedule: 2:30-6:45pm, Monday-Friday, Part time non-exempt
Compensation: $15-18/ hr
Organization Description: Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization. TEL HI provides services and advocacy for SF residents. Focusing on low- moderate income children, youth, families, and seniors, TEL HI creates and strengthens community bonds, provides health and wellness programs, and broadens educational and cultural experiences. With its diverse array of program and services in multiple locations, TEL HI serves over 700 people each day.
Beacon Center: North Beach-Chinatown Beacon Center at Francisco Middle School (FMS) mission is to provide youth, families, and community members with a safe and engaging space, offering academic support, enrichment, recreational, employment, and youth development opportunities. Activities and services are offered during the school day, after school, evenings, and weekends throughout the year at FMS.
Position Description: This position is an afterschool leadership position with the NBC Beacon program to assist with the planning and facilitation of academic support and enrichment opportunities for middle school aged youth. This position is placed at Francisco Middle School and part of a team that is responsible for providing after-school assistance to youth with homework; and creating and leading a wide-range of academic, wellness and social-emotional activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate and plan enrichment activities including after school workshops and clubs for
- Encourage involvement in program activities by building positive relationships with youth and their familie
- Establish and maintain a positive and safe environment for program participants including assisting with classroom and behavior
- Assist with day-to-day operations of Beacon Programs, including registration and data
- Incorporate Educational Standards and Youth Development best practices within all program
- Increase visibility of program activities through flyer design, marketing, and
- Participate in regular staff meetings and on-going training opportunities
- Maintain the cleanliness and organization of all program
- Assist Administrators and fellow staff as
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
- Interest and experience working with underrepresented youth in San
- Minimum one year experience working with children in an educational environment,
- Excellent verbal skills, proven experience with activity development and facilitating hands-on educational
- Proficiency in Chinese, Arabic, Vietnamese, or Spanish a
- Possess well-developed organizational skills and ability to prioritize and delegate when Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, and internet based research. Report writing experience is a plus.
- The candidate must meet SFUSD Instructional Aide Requirements: (An AA degree or higher or Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent or Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent.) DOJ, FBI, Child Abuse Index, TB clearance
The above stated requirements are not an all inclusive list of duties and responsibilities it is merely a summary of the focus of work for the position.
Interested applicants please submit a cover letter describing why you feel you are the best fit for the position and a program idea that you would like to implement with our students along with a resume to:
Ed Cheveres, NBC Beacon Program Manager at ECheveres@telhi.org