After School Academy (ASA) Program Instructor
Position: After School Academy (ASA) Program Instructor
Reports to: ASA Site Coordinator
Salary: $14-$18 per hour depending on experience and qualifications
Work Schedule: Part-time seasonal (20-25 hr/wk) 2:00PM-6:00PM
Occasional nights and weekends may be required
Agency & Program Description:
Telegraph Hill Neighborhood Center (TEL HI) is a nonprofit organization which provides services and advocacy for residents of the greater San Francisco community. TEL HI provides opportunities for individuals and families to enrich their quality of life. Focusing on low- to moderate-income youth, families, and seniors, we create and strengthen community bonds, provide health and wellness programs, and broaden education and cultural experiences.
The goal of the After School Academy (ASA) Program is to foster the academic, physical and social-emotional well-being of elementary school youth (K-5). The program provides developmentally appropriate curriculum, which emphasizes academic success and enrichment through academic assistance, social development, recreation, art and a wide variety of educational enrichment activities.
1. Design, create and implement enrichment activities that will support social and academic progress. Enrichment activities include (but are not limited to) arts, science, theater, media, recreation, music, dance, gardening, community service and youth leadership.
2. Lead activities, learning games, and small group tutoring.
3. Ensure a safe and positive environment that allows for healthy development, growth and learning.
4. Foster and maintain appropriate relationships with children, their families, and staff.
5. Work to increase academic achievement through providing academic support, homework assistance, and individualized tutoring.
6. Observe and evaluate children’s needs and progress. Follow-up with appropriate action including discussions with staff and communication with parents.
7. Participate in individual supervision, staff meetings, and organization trainings.
8. Maintain the cleanliness and organization of space utilized by program.
9. Support fundraising efforts on an as-needed basis to strengthen and sustain TEL HI programming.
10. Additional responsibilities as assigned.
• Experience working with youth.
• Understanding of youth development philosophy and current best practices.
• Bilingual candidates in Cantonese/English or Spanish/English are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send your Cover Letter and Resume to Melody Wong, Program Director, at MWong@telhi.org.
For questions regarding this position please call 415-421-6443, ext. 30